Since the first case of Covid-19 was recorded in Kenya, Gold Star Kenya had a responsibility to step in and help the Ministry of Health (MOH) in the fight against the pandemic. Through collaboration with County Management Teams in the Counties, we serve in Kenya, we have implemented a co-created and co-managed comprehensive COVID-19 response.
In addition, we continue working to support the community to prevent infection, identify suspicious cases, and refer and sensitize the communities on the importance of vaccination against COVID-19.
COVID-19 response activities seek to fulfill the following objectives The specific interventions are outlined below:
1. Strengthen the health systems to better respond to current needs and prepare for increased cases from continued transmission and upsurge
- Strengthen HRH capacity in COVID-19 case management
- Functional and compliant quarantine, isolation and treatment facilities
- Strengthen the health system to better respond and prepare for increased cases and upsurge
2. Empower communities through effective risk communication and engagement to slow spread, nurture local solutions
- Risk Communication with influencers, NGAOs
- Support communities to enhance COVID-19 prevention and behaviors and strengthen appropriate referrals to facilities
- Enhanced access and proper use and disposal of face masks and adherence to other prevention measures.
3. Demand Creation for uptake of Covid 19 vaccines
- Demystify myths and misconceptions about Covid-19 vaccines
- Working with the PHOs, Nurses, and NGAOs to step up Ministry of Health efforts to increase uptake of Covid-19 vaccination services.
Accelerated Covid-19 Vaccination
Approaches used to scale-up uptake of Covid-19 vaccination includes;
- Outreaches: use of mobile vaccination teams. This team targets members of the public at their Homesteads, Schools, places of work and worship, and markets, among other places of mass gathering.
- Radio-Talk shows: Prior to deployments of the mobile teams, a Radio-talk show is done to inform the public about the movement plans of the mobile teams in their areas. This shows also enhances the demand for vaccine demand creation.
- Gate-Keeper Mobilization: Identification of the community focal persons and sensitizing them on the need for vaccination. In turn, they will help in the dissemination of the key information among their communities.
- Targeted Sensitization: Visiting, markets, learning institutions, Bus/Matatu terminus, and Boda-Boda stages with key COVID-19 messages. During these activities, IEC materials are disseminated and mounted in strategic areas.