VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Gold Star Kenya (GSK) was established in 2010 as a local Non-Governmental Organization; GSK was born out of the success of the Gold Star Network, a social franchise program initiative established in 2006 to promote comprehensive quality HIV care amongst a network of private health providers in Kenya. GSK implements health related projects in Kenya. We seek qualified candidates for the following position
Position Title: Executive Director
Reports to: GSK Board of Directors
Requisition ID: GSK-ED-053
A. Basic Function:
The Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Directors and provides overall leadership in support of GSK’s strategic plan, mission, values, goals and objectives. S/he will provide management oversight and direction for the GSK program to ensure sustainability; oversee operations including program planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting as well as the judicious use of and accounting for resources; and, FI projects in the Fserves as the primary GSK representative, ensure strong collaboration between GSK partners and stakeholders including the government, donors and sponsors. S/he is accountable for the organization’s financial assets and ensuring compliance with board directives and applicable grantor, federal and state requirements.
B. Duties and Responsibilities:
The Executive Director must demonstrate executive level experience and success in devising and managing strategic plans, working with a governing Board and Board Chair, and serving as the chief spokesperson, assuring that GSK and its services are presented in a strong, positive image. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Governance. Works with the Board Chair to identify and address trends, issues and long-range strategic planning and to assure the timely filing of all legal and regulatory documents. Provides regular reports and informal updates to the Board on GSK activities, opportunities and challenges.
- Strategic Planning. Implements the strategic plan for the organization at the direction of the Board including development of strategies to secure funding from a diverse array of public and private sector sources. Identifies opportunities for collaboration with other organizations and entities to achieve strategic objectives and devises ways to realize such opportunities.
- Management. Manages the day-to-day operations of the organization to ensure optimum performance and organizational stability. Develops and manages the implementation of effective systems, policies and procedures. Provides oversight for effective human resources management. Identifies problems and opportunities and addresses them, elevating as appropriate to the Board for deliberation. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Financial Management. Oversees the fiscal activities of the organization including budgeting, auditing, financial analysis and reporting, capital asset and property management, procurement, grants management and payroll administration in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. Promotes programs and services that are cost-effective, employing economy while maintaining an acceptable level of quality and ensures relevant systems and controls are in place to safeguard the assets of the organization.
- Program Management. Oversees program implementation including appropriate monitoring, evaluation and reporting to ensure program quality consistent with established standards, and the appropriate allocation of technical and financial resources to ensure success. Coordinates partner efforts in program implementation. Responsible for all reporting requirements by funding sources including, but not limited to programmatic reports and quality assurance reports.
- Stakeholder Relations. Serves as the chief advocate, within the public and private sectors, for issues relevant to GSK, its programs and services. Initiates, develops, and maintains cooperative relationships with key stakeholders, including USAID and other donor institutions, international organizations, government counterparts and implementing agencies, to promote the mandate of GSK and to coordinate their participation in project development and implementation.
C. Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Demonstrated expertise in management, supervision and leadership including integration and coordination of diverse areas of management.
- Demonstrated expertise in building effective relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated expertise in strategic planning, operations, human resource management, financial management, program implementation and evaluation, and governance.
- Considerable experience in designing and implementing HIV/AIDS care and support projects in developing countries.
- Sound knowledge of ongoing and emerging issues in relation to HIV/AIDS care, treatment and support, as well as HIV prevention. Familiarity with the scientific literature on HIV/AIDS and research on public health issues; sensitivity to and understanding of the cultural differences and political and ethical issues surrounding HIV infection.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
D. Qualifications and Requirements:
- MB.BS/MD/PHD or similar degree with a minimum of 10 years’ relevant experience with international development programs OR MS/MA in social science, public health or related field, MPH preferred, and a minimum of 11 years’ relevant experience with international development programs.
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant management experience at the executive level.
- Familiarity with Kenyan public sector health systems, international donor organization regulations, NGOs and CBOs is required.
- Demonstrated success in multicultural environments is required.
How to apply:
Gold Star Kenya has a competitive compensation package and is an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates are encouraged to send cover letter and CV including salary requirement via email to: GSKenya-HR@goldstarkenya.org quoting the Requisition ID provided on the subject line.
The closing date is 06 September 2019
Kindly note that only shortlisted persons will be contacted.